Wednesday, April 21, 2010

AIDS and the AIDS Walk

So two ago (not last year because of that whole getting married thing), I did the AIDS Walk in NYC. It is not actually that fun as an experience, because so many people come out it is like being in a giant, slow-moving mosh pit. Having said that, it is wonderful that so many people come out for this event, the biggest of its kind in the world, because of the attention and money that it brings to such an important issue (I am a little biased here as this is the cause of my life).

So I am doing it again this year, on the 25th anniversary, and am again excited to participate and hoping to raise a good bit of money in the process. I sent a letter out to almost everyone that I know hoping to raise funds, but I figured that if you are reading this blog (and God knows why you would be :), than you might be interested in helping me raise a little cash for HIV research/education/other services.

So if you want to sponsor me, go here http://aidswalknewyork2010.kintera.org/pjgaskill

If you need further convincing, below is the fundraising letter I wrote -

As many of you know, since my mother was diagnosed with HIV in 18 years ago, I have devoted my life to researching causes and cures for HIV. This virus is currently the worst pandemic in human history and while we have made great strides in developing therapies, we have a long, long way to go in order to develop an effective treatment, vaccine or cure. Though there has been success with drug treatments that are prolonging some people's lives, they don't work in all cases, and many of these drugs have severe and difficult side-effects. Further, the spread of HIV, which had at one point begun to slow, has again started to rise, particularly among young people who do not fully comprehend the danger HIV poses. There is a great need for comprehensive prevention programs and services that target youth in their language.

To support HIV research, education and assistance programs, I have once again registered for AIDS Walk New York, and am hoping that all of you will help me to raise money for this important cause. The AIDS Walk in New York is the world’s largest AIDS fundraising event, benefiting GMHC and over 30 other tri-state area AIDS service organizations. GMHC is the nation’s oldest and most comprehensive AIDS service organization, serving approximately 15,000 people living with HIV and AIDS and their families each year, and countless more through its prevention and advocacy work locally and nationally.
I would really appreciate your help.

Please sponsor me for AIDS Walk New York. Just click on the link below to visit my personal fundraising Web page. It’s fast, easy, and safe to make a donation online with a credit card, debit card, or paypal! After making your donation, you may be able to double your donation with a matching gift from your employer, so please consult your human resources department, or use the matching gift search engine on the AIDS Walk New York website, to find out if your company has a matching gift program!

http://aidswalknewyork2010.kintera.org/pjgaskill

Thank you for helping me to support the AIDS Walk New York and for helping to put an end to this epidemic.

No comments: