Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm a believer

Last night I went to see Avatar in digital 3-D.

I had heard all the disparaging comments, that its "Pocahontas" meets "Dances with Wolves", that the Na'vi are basically giant, deadly smurfs, that they are looking for something so stupidly called Unobtanium that it cannot possibly be good. And I had heard, repeatedly, from all of my friends who had seen it that it was simplistic, the plot was basic, that it was a little goofy .. but also that it was beyond a fantastic experience and was a must see in the theatre.

So even though I never go to the movies (the last movie I saw was It's complicated, 3 weeks ago because Avatar was sold out in 4 theaters ... before that it has been more than a year since I went to the movies) I went to see it in 3-D, even though I don't handle 3-D well and often get a bit nauseous.

And it was INCREDIBLE. I mean absolutely visually stunning, arresting and fantastic. Honestly, the plot was solid if shmaltzy, but enjoyable, and there was so much for my eyes and mind to enjoy that if the plot had been any more complex I would have missed it. Sure, it was not a life altering event, but it was, hands down, the best money I have spent on entertainment in a long time. I absolutely loved it and even though it gave me a migraine, I want to see it again. Soon.

No comments: