Sunday, May 09, 2010

Bicycle Sundays and today's disappointment

So the Bronx River parkway closes on various Sundays during the summer from 10 AM - 2 PM. The first year we moved to Hartsdale we missed all the summer Sundays, and because I love rollerblading and a 13 mile rolling stretch of good road (through a gorgeous forest along the river no less) is a roller-bladers paradise, I was anxiously anticipating it this year. The schedule for bicycle sundays in 2010 is as follows

Bicycle Sundays

May 2, 9, 16 & 23
June 6, 13, 20 & 27
September 12, 19, & 26

And last weekend we went for the first time. It was fabulous, tons of families with adorable little kids on tiny bikes or little skates, fitness bikers speeding by, many rollerbladers, it was awesome!!! I went about nine miles, discovered that the road is far less flat than I thought and got so sweaty that by the time we got home I needed three separate ice-cold showers to cool off.

With that in mind, we were excited to go again this week, despite the ridiculously unseasonable windy/cold (48°F) weather. So we got dressed up and headed down to the highway, only to find it open to traffic, despite the schedule. I know its Mother's Day, and I know that it is probably a good idea to have the parkway open, but I was quite disappointed having been looking forward to it all week. We won't be able to do it next week, because of the AIDS walk, but I guess I will be back on the road on the 23rd ... sigh.

No comments: