Monday, May 13, 2013

Why leave academia?

So I have no intention of leaving academia, and if I do it will be because I have been forced to in order to stay in New York (or California) or because I cannot make enough money or find enough time in academia to support and enjoy my family. These are real concerns, and I certainly think about them a lot, but I hope to continue to do well enough that I can over come them.

I wanted to link to an article by a professor who left academia for industry, and wrote about why he was doing it. Even though he is a computer scientist, and the fields are substantively different, I feel like his reasoning is applicable to all of academic science and is well worth reading and thinking about.

That essay, entitled "On leaving Academe", can be found here.

No comments: